Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The land of many makeover recipes and some just plain yummy ones


Chiptole makeover rice recipe
In my rice cooker I will add 

1 c short grain brown rice
juice of 1/2 lime
2 c water
1/2 tsp olive oil

Place  rice, water, and oil  into the rice cooker. Set on white rice settings.  While it is cooking in another bowl combine 3 TBSP fresh chopped cilantro, lime juice and 1/2 ts oil. When rice is done mix rice with the cilantro mixture. 
Enjoy...
The brown rice adds fiber as well as fewer calories....


Meatball Muffins

by Amanda K Brann on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 11:47am
This is enough to feed my family of 6.

1 ts olive oil
3/4 minced onion
1/2 c shredded carrots
1 bell pepper, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 ts dried oregano
1/2 c ketchup, low sugar
1 1/2 pounds of extra lean ground turkey or beef or chicken. (I used my homegrown organic grass fed beef)
1 c bread crumbs
2 TBS dijon mustard
1 ts worcestershire sauce
1/4 ts ground pepper
2 large eggs
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots, and bell pepper. Saute until soft-then add oregano and garlic. Remove from heat and let cool. Meanwhile in a large bowl-place the meat, bread crumbs, eggs, ketchup, dijon mustard, pepper, and worcestershire sauce. Mix well with fingers. Add the veggie mix to meat. Form into large meatball. Place into giant muffin tins that have been coated with cooking spray. Top with low sugar ketchup..
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. This would be good with any sides or as a leftover for lunch! It smelled so good when it was baking!!!


Black Bean Avocado Grilled Chicken Salad

by Amanda K Brann on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 11:40am
Serves my family of 6
1 ts olive oil
1 1/2 ts chili powder
1 1/2 ts cumin
1 ts crushed red pepper (I would have loved this but omitted so my little ones would eat it)
(I used my favorite Santa Fe seasonings Desert Blend for all of this)
4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
1 1/2 cups of black beans, drained and rinsed
Avocado-smashed or diced depending on how you like it in your salad
1 1/2 cups of frozen corn, thawed
6-8 cups of your favorite salad mix. I used romaine and baby spinach
1 TBS of your favorite fat free dressing (I used salsa_fat free and tasty!)

Place olive oil in pan and saute chicken breasts until brown on the outside with just a little bit of pink left on the inside. Add of of your seasonings. Can add salt and pepper to taste here, if you want to...Once chhicken in cooked throughly, add the black beans and cook for another 3 minutes. Add corn and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat. Assemble salad bowls-salad mix, meat mixture, avaocado, salsa
This counts for a protein and a carb on body for life. It is sooo filling and sooo good!!! I made it in under 45 minutes!!!


Cafe Rio pork recipe makeover only 200 calories per serving....

by Amanda K Brann on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 11:31am
So I have to add that I have never had this famous salad, rice, thing....but I love the ingredients in this recipe that add so much flavor and are different from the original recipe that I have seen that is out there....I just put it in the crockpot and it smelled sooo good!!! I can't wait to see how it turns out! I will serve it in a burrito bowl with Cilantro lime brown rice, lettuce, low fat cheese, and pico or salsa and avocado...depending on whose dish it is...

Marinade:
2.5 lbs pork loin, all fat trimmed
6 oz Coke Zero
1/4 c UNPACKED brown sugar
1/4 c water
Adobo seasoning to smell....(it is by Goya)

Marinate this in a plastic bag for a few hours or overnight.
Place in crockpot with marinade and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Remove pork from crockpot, discard any liquid, and shrerd meat with two forks.

Place shredded pork back into crockpot. In another bowl combine 
8oz Coke Zero
6 oz can diced green chilies
8 oz tomato sauce
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
garlic powder to taste
cumin to taste
chiptole chili powder to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 c UNPACKED brown sugar

Pour over shredded pork and mix well. Cover and cover on high for 1 1/2 hr more.


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Amanda K Brann on Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 11:00am
2 sticks softened unsalted butter
2 c turbinado sugar (or you can use 1 c white sugar and 1 c of brown)
2 large eggs
2 ts vanilla (for best flavor only Mexican vanilla will do )
2 c pumpkin puree (if you want to know how to do this just ask) or 1 can of pumpkin if not using fresh
2 1/2 c unbleached flour
2 ts baking soda
1/2 ts salt
2 ts sweet spices from Santa Fe seasonings company (my favorite)-just ask
(or you can use pumpkin pie spices to taste)
1/2 bag of mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I prefer parchment paper but if you have none then grease two cookie sheets.

Beat butter until smooth, beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla. Slowly mix in the pumpkin until blended. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda, and salt, and spices. Slowly beat into the butter mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips. 
My cookie scoop broke so I had to spoon them onto the cookie sheet, but I would use a cookie scoop to scoop onto the cookie sheet. 
Bake for 13-17 minutes depending on  your oven. They are done when light brown on the edges. Cookies will be light and airy with a cookie yet cakey texture. They are not dense at all. If you would like a denser pumpkin cookie I do have a denser recipe, but this is one I really enjoy and so do the kids! 

My personal touches try to make it a little better for you by changing some quality ingredients but not changing the richness of the cookie. Applesauce will change the texture of it if you trade out the butter so watch the bake times. 

Enjoy!!!

For all of the requests I have gotten for my brisket recipe- here it is:

3 lbs of brisket
1 ts onion powder
1 ts garlic powder
1 ts celery powder
1/2 ts black pepper
1/2 ts sea salt
1/4c worcestershire sauce
1/2 c bbq sauce (we prefer sweet baby ray's)
liquid smoke

Place meat in bag and rub dry spices on meat on both sides.cover just barely in liquid smoke. Put in fridge overnight for best flavor or if there is not time for just an hour or two. Take out and place in foil lined pan. Add salt and worcestershire sauce. Cover with foil and place in oven that been preheated to 275. Cook for 4-6 hours or until tender. Remove from oven and top with BBQ sauce. Cover and place bake in oven for 30-45 minutes. Take out and Enjoy!

This is very moist and falls apart. Great for when you want to do an inside brisket. I got it from my grandmother. For everyone that has asked me for it-ENJOY!

So here are some of my recipes....I have a ton more! If anyone out these in cyberland wants me to post them-please let me know....

No comments: