Monday, March 15, 2010

Life is what we make if it




My friend Sheri told me about these books that I just had to read last weekend at Kyle's baseball tournament by Jeannette Walls. She said they were written by a woman who was maybe 5 years older than us at the most but her life stoyr was amazing! So on Tuesday she dropped her book by as well as the "novel" she wrote about her grandmother's life. These two books are incredible reminders that it is our attitude and what we do with it that determines what we take out of the challenges we are faced with. She faced alcoholism, homelessness, no indoor plumbing, going hungry and going through the trash for food as a child and teenager-yet became a writer and is now published with a college degree. But most of all she is not bitter about her upbringing, she is not bitter about the life her parents raised her in or their struggles-she chose to see it a positive light. What an amazing reminder to the strength of the human spirit....
And I love her grandmother's phrase half broke horses, but maybe that is because I am a horse person....but these are great books and I highly reccomend them. But on The Glass House I have to put out a warning that since her father was an alcoholic there is some foul language so if that is offensive then just know that it is an amazing story.



2 comments:

Angela said...

I really liked The Glass Castle. I thought her narrative style was so great--she just told it like it was. She seemed to lay out the facts without putting a spin on them, and so came across not feeling sorry for herself, nor did she expect her audience to feel sorry for her. I will have to read the other one.

amanda said...

the publisher site where I copied the book from had an interview from her with her mom at her home and she was just the same. That she shared the venus bday present story and said life is what you chose to make it. I was amazed.