Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My Recycling soapbox....

Well I have add my story with Kyle last night. for the most part my kids accept the fact that their mom is the only one on the street that fills up three blue recycling totes. Most think I am crazy for paying for them-but if I just put them to the side the trash guys grab it....So I rinse out all my plastic and metal containers and add them to the recycling in the laundry room. Well Kyle had dishduty last night and I had superficially rinse some things, but left them in the sink for further cleaning. Kyle started to groan at me and asked why we recycle. I told him that these things don't break down in the earth when we bury them in a landfill-especially plastic. He stopped and looked at me-Why would anyone want to bury trash. It hit me-it may be more work-but when it cotes down to it-why would we want t o bury trash. I bring my reuseable bags to the store and have been surprised at the reaction. Most people tell me-that's a great idea and all but I don't want to pay for bags. I bought the bags to get started, but plan on making my own from a pattern of using things at home for fun and fashionable bags. This book looks sooo cool and I can't wait to try out her low sew to no sew ideas. She had an old Twister mat and made it into a pool tote bag, got silver mailers and made a chanel looking purse. She took old placemats and made grocery bags with duck tape and a few seams. But the best part of the story was when I went shopping last week for the BIG trip-I took all of my bags (about 10) and filled them all up. As I walked out a woman stopped me and said she was so impressed that I would do that. I said I recycle as best as I can with the curbside recycling and use my bags. I laughed when she said-you don't homeschool too-if you did you must be supermom. I started laughing and said-no-I just try not to go crazy and set a good example for the kids. My mom and grandma were health nuts. So-here's to you Mom and Marj-I'm trying to eat better like you taught me-but at least I am doing my bet to keep the world a better place for my kids like you and Dad did for me.
Kyle ended up doing the dishes without a fuss and even rinsed and stored the recycling. What a great boy I have-this way the blue glaciers he loves so much will still be around when he has kids too.

No comments: