Friday, August 22, 2008

What a summer

Well- as you can tell I haven't updated in ages. I'm glad to know that I have 1 friend that reads my blog to remind me I haven't posted in ages. It has been a crazy fun summer. Emotion filled in many ways. It has been a year since my grandfather passed away unexpectedly. He was the only man who was ever a dad in my life. The only man I ever called "Dad". I still miss him terribly and the unconditional love he always had for me even when he disagreed with my choices. He taught me to never give up and that I was a responsible person from the young age of 5. I remember him always telling me I believe in you. He was a veteran in WW II and was a member of the feared 82nd Airborne. He was excited to be one of the first group of men to jump out of airplanes. He worked so hard he was offered a spot in a West Point class and then later taught there. He loved to farm and he loved his piece of land. He loved Texas and nature. He was stubborn. I am sure that is where I get it from and Keira gets her spunk from. She reminds me of him and his green eyes. He was at every graduation I ever had. He took me to the only Daddy-daughter event I attended when I was 6. I sang Faith Hill's song "There You'll Be" at his funeral last summer and it still applies-"Well you showed meHow it feels-To feel the skyWithin my reach-And I alwaysWill remember all-The strength youGave to me-Your love made me-Make it through-Oh, I owe so much to you-You were right there for me"
When I can get my favorite picture of he and I scanned I will post it. But for now-My love to you, Dad. You were the dad I never had but always needed. Thank you-wish I had had more time to tell you all that yu meant to me.

We got to go on our first family vacation since 2002 this summer. It was to Prot Aransas, Texas. We had so much fun as a family and even when it rained it was still fun. We played on the beach, found sand dollars, and shells, and lots of seaweed! We went to a Hooks baseball game and spentn the day at Texas State Aquarium. That was an awesome experience! Kyle and Jeremy got to see Sea Turtles swimming when they went fishing.
The best part was Kenna who is so afraid of anything new came out of her shell when she saw the ocean. First at south Padre Island and then again on Mustang Island. She wanted to sun away from us and play in the ocean all by herself. She was determined to ride the waves and be a big girl all by herself. She loved every second of it and cried when we left. She loved the sand and the salt and the whole experience. Where as Keira announced to us as we left for dinner with GRandma Kip and Tony on SPI that "She doesn't like the beach because it is too sandy and too salty and to sticky!" Daddy agrees with her-but the rest of us would love to spend the summer at the beach!
All the kids loved to touch the sting rays at Texas State Aquarium. And I have to confess it was pretty cool! The dolphins were neat to watch and Kelsey is once again inspired to be a marine animal trainer, vet, soccer player, mom when she grows up. If you see her at the pool she is probably practicing her dolphin training signs! :)
Kyle has come to the conclusion that he didn't play enought baseball this summer and does not want to go back to school. Last summer I was ready for school to start because they were bickering so much and all Kenna did was cry. But this summer they have all gotten along so well and been sooooo much help to me this summer that I am really going to miss them when school starts next week. But they have inspired me to get my butt in gear and get serious about being an athlete once again. I have hung out with their friends and have gotten to know them well. But I want to stay the cool mom-so I am getting myself back in athletic shape. Besides-if my kids are such good athletes-it would be nice to show that they got some of their talent from me...:)hahaha!
Jeremy got a promotion at work-but best of all he got his own office! More work and same pay-Congrats to him! He is a great guy!
For our anniversary-
We went to an Astros game on Saturday where they got their butts kicked 11-5, but we had dinner at Pappas-not as good as I remebered-but it was a fun night. But on Monday (our actual anniversary the 18th) we went to Saltgrass with the entire family. The kids behaved sooo well-it was a glimpse of how nice family dinners could be. The down side was after he gave me his gifts (the really comfy flip flops from Addias, a crocs sling pack and beautiful pick roses) he got food poisoning from Saltgrass so the rest 0f the evening he was feeling bad.

But most of all I appreciate the friendships that have strengthened this summer. I realized that I have three friends that would be there for me in a moments notice and one friend who may be far away-but is stalwart through and through. Thank you to these ladies. It is a gift to have one friend, but to be able to count 4 as true friends is a treasure that is above all monetary possessions. As life seems to be very short as I hear of children dying from cancer and my own loss-friends are priceless treasures that I was afraid I had none of. Thank you for teaching me and I hope that I have helped you in some small way as much as you have helped and inspired me!
I'll be a better writer!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Cute blog. I love the large pic of the kidos.