Monday, April 20, 2009

"Comfort those that stand in need of comfort......"

It has been a strange weekend. I found out Friday that a friend lost her baby to SIDS Friday morning. It struck me harder than usual. I was just getting to know her-so I don't know her well, but with all that I have seen and gone through this time is has been different. I have always felt sympathy and compassion for trials such as these, but I have really been touched with this overwhleming feeling of a newer deeper meaning of the scripture that describes our baptismal covenants.

Mosiah 18: 9

9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

I have prayed so much for her in the past few days. I still don't know the best way to help-but I keep praying for the inspiration to guide me in the ways I can be there. I know it can be a lonely road. I know grief can tear us apart. I am grateful that she has a connection to someone here that has gone through this trial and can help her through these next few months. I know she is willing to help and I admire her desire to be there for this mom. She is a great example to me of a Christlike love and this scripture. As a song says-it is amazing what one heart in the right place can do. I believe this fits her to a T.

I also found out yesterday that my brother in law and his wife had their little boy 11 weeks early. It is so hard to be so far away. She had to have an emergency C-section because her blood pressure was too high and it was harming her and the baby. He is only 2 pounds 7 ounces and 16 inches long. His name is Jaithin Kobeck Brann. Jon says the nurses say he is a fighter. I hope so. I just want to tell him-if I can make it at 2 pounds and 12 weeks early 37 years ago in a little south texas town-you can make it. My grandmother told the nurses to tell me that my great grandfather was the same 2 pounds and was kept in an oven and he made it to adulthood with no complications. I hope this little guy will be the same. I pray for Jen and Jon to have strength to make it through this trial and feel just as strongly to give them comfort and support as I do to the family here in Humble.

Today I woke up to one child saying his throat hurts, one with a fever of 101 and another with a fever of 103. Poor Kenna has been crying all morning. Keira look so glazed over and Kyle doesn't want to eat. So it has been a rough morning. I just wanted to get my thoughts down. I figure this is my journal and you guys are my proofreaders for future generations. :)
So I better go see if I can get anyone to eat lunch and hope that this day will go smoothly. I am praying for my Humble family. And I am so grateful that the Lord has watched over Jon and Jen and their little Jaithin. May He still....
Amanda

2 comments:

Kate said...

U have such an amazing heart. I admire you for that! I am sorry to hear the kids are sick. We just had all that last weekend of kids with fevers, cuts and brusies, etc. 3 out 5 of us are on medicine for strep or an ear infection or both! I hope your kids don't have the strep!!! Love ya!

blog_meg said...

I think it's every parent's worst nightmare to lose a child. I'm glad she has you for a friend. You are fabulous! Now get those sick kids better so you can have some "ME" time. :o)