Monday, February 15, 2010

Good, Better. Best. But What do you do when you find Amazing?

So I am having one of those moments again....the ones where you have that inner battle....I want to give my kids the best of everything and I want to stay balanced and focused on the important things but I still want their one activity to be a good one. If they have a rare talent in that activity how far is too far to let them take it?

I have two with this ability....I struggle with this decision probably weekly, but more so in the spring and the fall. I know the good, better, and best talk. I know that even though I am teaching my kids to follow the Lord that I could do a better job and teach them to take the best road, but I am not. It is not the worldly awards that I want for them as a mom-it has for me been amazing to watch them grow into their talent over the years. As others played on Sunday we did not-We held back. When others went to select-we waited until there were no longer options and level playing fields. But still with amazing are there still limits and if there are how will the doors open for progression in that field?

I know with Kyle it is his dream that he plays for the New York Yankees when he grows up. I know that he trains hard and he works hard and he eats, sleeps, and breathes baseball. He has a wicked fastball and a killer curve ball. He is a great baseball player. But he is also a worthy priesthood holder and he does his very best to be there every Sunday he can. He does his best to get to all the church activities that he can. He like his friends at church. But he isn't there every Sunday during baseball season when he is at a tournament. He isn't there every Wednesday when there is practice. He is an honor student that still has homework to get done as well. And he has all A's but keeps fighting that one B in 6th grade-not bad for ALL honors classes. He is such a responsible kid who loves his sisters and helps out at home and has such a sweet heart. He is funny and witty and handsome. It makes me sad to think I only have 6 1/2 more years with him. It will go by WAY too fast!!!

Then there is Kelsey. She has this amazing talent as a goalkeeper in soccer. As I have mentioned we made the decision to switch clubs and she has made some new friends and the trainers are incredible and the change has helped that talent shine so much that her new team has walked away with a 1st and 2nd place trophy both tournaments they played. She smiles when she goes to soccer. She dives and jumps and pounds and bounds and punts.....She only had 2 goals scored on her all weekend this past weekend and one was a fluke that bounced off the girls knee. I am amazed when I watch her. She makes it look so easy. Just like her brother in baseball. They are pressure positions and they just let it fly.....But as I watched yesterday and I thought about it being Sunday I couldn't help but wonder I hope that even if these are good decisions as a parent I am still doing the right thing. Being a parent is sooo hard sometimes.....I just want these beautiful kids of mine to turn out happy and well rounded and grounded with a strong relationship to Heavenly Father and their Savior, Jesus Christ. Yet the doors that could be opened with these talents are some amazing doors as well....

Maybe one day I will have the answers.....there was a high councilman who got up with this talk I refer to and said in the end now that his daughter had played sports on a college scholarship at BYU and met her husband and gotten married it was not worth it and if he could do it over again he would not play sports on Sunday. I guess ask me in 10 years when they are all grown up and in college and I will be able to answer that question.....Until then I can only ask for advice from my wiser friends who might know better than I.....

No comments: