Thursday, March 12, 2009

Music

Ok, I have to add that in recent months I have come across several friends from high school. Those that know me now probably have no idea that if it didn't involve music and dancing or gymnastics I wasn't there. I dreamed about it. I couldn't see myself doing anything else for the rest of my life.
Enter me-present time. I am not the same person.
Kelsey asks me out of the blue Sunday night in the car-can I get into Julliard? What? This is my brainy child who loves soccer and gets embarrassed to sing or dance in front of ME! Julliard? Why Julliard? Well, they mentioned it in HSM 3 and I thought it would be fun. Well, Kelsey, that is actually the only school I wanted to attend after high school and I couldn't. MY second choice was this school in Colorado that had a musical theater department. But I ended up somehwere else. It is not that I regret it. I loved all of my classes in anthropology and I am glad that is the degree that I got. But there are days recently that as I hear of 3 friends from HS have CDs and one is doing awesome all over the world. Don't get me wrong. I never envisioned the world. It was mainly just Broadway. I didn't want the West Coast spotlight. I just wanted to be on stage for a living.
I love being a soccer mom-don't get me wrong-there are just days when I wish I had stayed with music and not listened to the naysayers that told me I could not succeed with a career in music. I could have been a music teacher or a choral director. I could have taught dance. I just stopped believing in myself somewhere and walked away.
I know that there are more important things in life than silly dreams. My good friend is going through the adoption process and both birth moms so far have changed their minds. Another is just starting the process. It is a hard road and I admire each of them for their courage and determination. Others are struggling with terminally ill kids or divorce or personal illness.
I just couldn't help but think about all the dreams I once had and that a friends mom told me that she fully expected to see me on Broadway one day. I still haven't even been to New York.
I'll never be on Broadway-but I can still sing my kids to sleep and maybe once in awhile I'll get to sing at church. Maybe I'll be that old lady signing up for a dance class-just so I can dance. It would fit me. I still enjoy going upstream instead of following the current-even if it is much smaller these days.
Music is still my love-may the music that has always brought me happiness and joy still be waiting for me when the time comes to meet up again....

1 comment:

America said...

Funny you should post this. I just found my recital tape from when I was 13. I used to dance ballet florklorico, classical spanish ballet, and flamenco. I could not tell you Amanda how those dreams rose up inside me and for a brief second I asked myself "what if?" Your right is hard, but I'll follow your advice and incorporate it in my life with small things. Or maybe I'll just be one of those crazy stage moms with Mia and try to live out my dreams through her. Just kidding! I loved the truth in your post and I'm glad you wrote it, Lots of us women feel the same way, but who are we going to share it with? You can share it with me anytime!