Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Perception

so you realize in the course of your life that your words are not always perceived how you say them. This holds true especially when you become a parent!!!

For example:
Keira-don't climb down the landscaped side of the hill. (She is now 60 seconds later starting to climb down that said slope with Kenna following right behind) Then a little later i tell her to NOT do something and she is DOING that EXACT thing!!! This has been the story of Keira and I's relationship lately. We just are not on the same page. I hope that we will one day get on the same page-but that may never happen....(I am a mom who believes in letting kids express themselves-my disclaimer-so I pick my battles-clothes are NOT one of them)

Case in Point....Keira came down the stairs today wearing a pink and maroon striped long sleeve shirt, khaki shorts, long socks that came up to her thighs that at the top had white fur and were multi colored blocked with snowflakes on them and her red boots. She was in heaven. I told her she reminded me of Junie B. Jones and she just LOVED that! That is when Kelsey told her she just needed a bow in her hair so I had to add a big maroon bow to her hair! So I will post a picture of her tomorrow! The ironic thing is if I had to guess I was probably a lot like her.....

But on a serious note, I learned that if we just talk AT people and don't stop to listen then we might miss what they HEAR us say. Their perception is just as important as what we are saying. It is true in a marriage, a friendship, a leadership role, as a parent, as a teacher.
I have watched Kelsey these past few days and sessions with soccer and I have watched what is different with the trainers. These trainers talk to her, have her repeat back what they just told her, and then have her execute it. They make sure that what they are teaching is understood and the kids perception is what they are trying to teach. The other trainers whether in Humble or College Station just talked AT the kids.
But I thought about this when Kyle told me on Saturday that he liked to ride with certain people because they took the time to ask him about what Kyle was interested in not just topics that he was supposed to be doing. He got to know Kyle on Kyle's level. It made me see just how much we can make or break friends, youth, our own children and especially our own spouses. We are most apt to be the harshest with those we are closest to b/c we want so much from them. But I have learned that if we will stop and ask them simple questions a lot of problems can be solved easily.
On a personal note, I am so happy to have gone running 3 out of the past 5 days! And walking also! It has been a great feeling! Now off to bed so I can get up and keep doing it!

No comments: