Thursday, December 4, 2008

How great shall be your joy...

I have had an amazing two weeks. I miss Mandy being here-it was like having the sister that I always wanted and didn't know it! ( I actually wanted a brother, but Mandy is soo cool I think I would change it now) Not only did she help with the kids (made me feel spoiled), she loves them too. They all said tonight-it is just not the same with Mandy gone. I know she's having fun at home-but know that the Brann Clan will always have a spot if you ever need a place to stay.
It was also so much fun to have the cousins here. I can't believe how much they have all grown and how much I always enjoy their company. You would think that having 7 kids running around would be crazy, but it was just pure happiness and joy. There was no fighting or hurt feelings-they all got along and were sad when it was time to leave. It was also so special for me to sing in Church with Jeremy's sister, Sarah on Sunday. It has been years since we have done that and we even sounded really good. Thanks Amy for playing for us-even with sick kids and a sick hubby-what a great friend!
I also wanted to add that I am thankful for so many things-for my life and my family and my home, and clothes, and food, and after Ike-my home, my electricity, my water, and my gas. Those basic things in life are pleasantries that I don't ever want to take for granted again. But it was nice that with it all gone-we all reached out more to one another.
I have been thinking a lot about the footprints that Joette left on my life and I have to say that I feel she has helped this past week as I have had to deal with a challenge that could have left me very bitter and resentful. But I think I handled it well and spoke my peace and stood up for people that I care about. I realized that this past year and a half has been a mountain for me. There were times that I didn't think I would make it up to the top, but when I would fall or just roll down the hillside-there was always someone there to pick me up-sometimes it was at the top of the hill or sometimes I had to fall all the way down-but the Lord never left me with out help. He sent those earthly angels to help me on my way. I bring this up because there are those of you who read my blog that may wonder why the sudden interest in me. I realize that each one of us struggle with different things. I know it can be hard to navigate the waters of life-I recognize certain looks and I want you to know that I know what that feels like. But I also want you to know that you are not alone. I may out of the blue-drop off dinner or call or who knows what-but it is merely because I care. All of you have welcomed me into your life-and for me the only child and only grandchild-friends are worth more than any earthly possession. I found a note from my grandfather that said "You are a responsible little girl-I believe in you" when I was at his home this summer. Sometimes we need to hear from someone-I believe in you-You are wonderful!
So, to my dear friends-thank you for filling my life with joy. Thank you for being there for me when I need help or support or just a listening ear.
I went out on a limb and am doing the 12 days of Christmas for my allergist's staff. I have had so much fun making up poems and treats for these amazing women who love my kids so sweetly. But I honestly think I am having more fun than I should. Service rocks! It doesn't matter if it is a fun treat like that or a need that must be met-it brings joy to your soul and permeates through your family. My kids have argued less in the past few days than in the past month.
I challenge anyone out there to think of someone you can brighten their day with a smile or a kind word because they might not always hear it. Or if there is a real desperate need-recognize it and help anyway.
My neighbor stopped by a couple of weeks ago and I thought she needed some help with her kids homework. She got out of the car and said she only needed a hug. I gave the hug and we talked briefly and she said thanks and went about her day. It taught me-there is always a need-please let me see it.
Merry Christmas-may the example of the Christ's life inspire you as it has inspired me to try to make the world a better place-one small step at a time.

1 comment:

Pinky Homer said...

I think having friends around us to pick us up when we need it is one of Heavenly Father's mercy towards us. But just like they are being instruments in His hands to bless our lives, we need to be ready and in tune for others to be bless through our service. You are so right about service and doing it even if is really small (like a smile or hug) ... it all makes a difference. Thanks for sharing