Friday, November 21, 2008

Systemic allergic reaction to Grass Extract

Well, I got up early this morning to take the kids to get allergy shots before school this morning and then went back for my allergy testing. I thought it was going to be an easy day and maybe Jeremy and I could catch the matinee of Twilight. Well, that is not what happened. It is confirmed that the children's grass allergy was inherited from me. I am also allergic to a lot of other pollens, but grass is definately the worse. Both my kids can induce an allergy attack when grass pollen is high.
So anyway, I had all the testing done and was talking to Dr. Shaw and everything was fine. We were talking about shots for me and when to time it right so that there wouldn't be 3 people in the family on shots at one time. Then he examined me. I had to breathe deeply and that is when it started.....
A simple cough, "how about you stay for 15 minutes"
to a big cough when I called Jeremy I would be done in a little while.
to a cough I couldn't stop, shortness of breath, and light headedness,
to can't breathe at all.....
So I have had to stop this anaphylaxis today
1 tablet of xyzal (antihistime)
1 dose zyrtec
1 dose of singulair
2 doses of steriods
1 breathing treatment of xopenex and pulimocort
then the fun began.....
1 shot of .3 epi
1 more breathing treatment
10 minutes later...
another epi shot
10 minutes later
another epi shot and 4 ts of benadryll
20 minutes later
another shot of epi
10 minutes later
another shot of epi and benadryl
another breathing treatment
another shot of epi and another breathing treatment and more steriods
By this time it has been a scary ride feeling like I couldn't breathe and was told I was about to be rushed to the hospital in an ambulance so in case I "crashed".
I am still not out of the woods yet, but I am taking it easy tonight and hoping to feel better tomorrow.

Sometimes when you are faced with this life and death situation I realized I am blessed and come what may I must love it. I was really scared at one point that I might not see my kids and husband tonight, but I am soooo thankful for the inspiration of the Lord to Dr. Shaw that he changed the shot location and it made a huge difference. I am grateful for the nurses that were so sweet and helpful and for all the shots I got in their "ER" room that they had soft hands that they didn't hurt too bad. I will be glad when the shakiness wears off and I can breathe comfortably again, but I am grateful that Mandy was here to help Jeremy and that I can write this instead of being in a hospital bed tonight.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I can't even imagine what it took to get you to stop coughing! I definitely will keep ya in my prayers and we should have y'all out soon!! What are you up to these weekends before Christmas??

Angela said...

Amanda, this is so scary! I am so glad that you are all right. I am going to keep you in my prayers!

Pinky Homer said...

WOW! I can't believe it ... I knew that allergies could be dangerous but not this serious. I'm so glad you are doing well and that it happened where it did and you were among people that knew just what to do. Experiences like that really make you look at your life. I'll keep you in my prayers.