Tuesday, September 2, 2008

the seasons of life

I have been struck by the amount of trials that we all face as we raise our children. When I was in 7th grade my friend, John, went home from school one night and was gone the next day when his lung collasped due to asthma. When we moved to College Station, a family lost their little girl that would be Kelsey's age in June 7 years ago. We recently have learned that there are 4 families that are facing serious trials with regards to their children. Two are faced with tumors that will take them from their families too early. I don't know these two families well , but we pray for them every night for the Lord to watch over them as they endure this trial. I hear time and again how strong these families are and that is why the Lord gives these huge trials. I think of how differently we can all react to these experiences. I believe these grandparents must have taught their children the gospel of Jesus Christ so that these parents have such a core strength in the Lord that through this trial they will always know the Lord loves them and knows them. I hope that despite my weaknesses that I am helping my children love the Lord and helping them find their own strength in Him-regardless of what may come.
But what has struck me the most is 4 times this weekend I have been told-"oh-you get no break from the kids" since I don't have them in preschool or a gym membership. I know that I need to get back into physical shape-and I am walking or biking regularly to help that. But even on those rough days (for me anyway) I have never doubted that. I think of these families and think about how every minute is a treasure and a gift. These five years of each child is a gift for me. I will have to give them up to the school system soon enough-At 21 I was told I wouldn't have any or maybe just 1 like my mom. So the road it took to have them all has been emotional-but I don't want to surrender any time to anyone else. Kenna is the last one and in 4 years she'll be in school. Time goes by so fast-being a mom is hard but getting to kiss my kids every day and tuck them in and read them a story every night is a gift that the Lord gave me. I am forever in His debt for these amazing children I have. I'm far from perfect-but I love them and am soo proud of them for the love the have for each other and the good kids that they are. So-I'll get my break soon enough-in the mean time I have some playdough and tickles for today and a little "preschool" work with Keira to get her ready for kindergarten next year.
My season of life is becoming the late summer and if I don't keep my eyes open I might miss the beautiful sunsets and popscicle smiles during this time. I love my season of time-hopefully I won't take it for granted again as I have this past 1 1/2 years....

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I love this post. I too am so thankful for my little ones and am so amazed with the speed that they seem to grow. You're an amazing mother Amanda.

Pinky Homer said...

You are an inspiration!! I really needed to read this today. At the moment, I'm struggling with my kids (one in particular). I love them, don't get me wrong, it's just really hard right now because I really don't get any breaks and I'm constantly being drained. However, I know that this too shall pass and that I'm not alone. Also I can see there's hope as long as I keep Heavenly Father involved; it will all be ok in the end. Thanks for sharing.